Thousands affected and sick by landfill burning in Praeksa

‎More than 1,200 people were sick from toxic fumes at a landfill site in suburban Samut Prakarn province in the past week, the Public Health Ministry reported.

Narong Sahametapat, permanent secretary for public health, said the fire at the landfill site in Praeksa sub-district of the provincial seat was completely put out on Saturday.

A mobile medical unit has been stationed at Wat Praeksa to provide assistance and medical treatment to people affected by the fumes while nearby public and private hospitals also have specially treated patients from the fumes between March 16-22.

About 1,200 people sought treatment for fume-related illness, he said, adding that a 20-month baby who was admitted to Samut Prakarn Hospital for lung inflammation was discharged.

Nampol Daenpipat, Samut Prakarn deputy health officer, said the latest dust measurement in the area found that it has declined to safety level but people living in the 200-metre radius from the landfill site would be asked to undergo medical check-up at Samut Prakarn Hospital. (MCOT online news)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s